Last Week: June 25th through July 1st


I feel like I didn't do a whole lot last week.

On Tuesday, the kids decided they wanted to go on a walk on the paved trail at Long Hunter State Park, We took the direction where the bridge is closer on the loop. Sam wanted to write notes about the trees along the way. Nadia wanted to stay with Sam. We made it a little past the other side of the bridge, then turned back.

On Wednesday I picked up heavy duty musical instrument cases for free out in Bellevue, maintaining the pattern of getting awesome stuff for not much money at all from rich people who can't be troubled to bother with getting their money's worth out of things they don't need anymore. I love it. Anyways, the cases are the real deal. Heavy and sturdy. Great find.

On the way to Bellevue, I saw a car with a bumper sticker with the Gadsden flag imagery, except it said, "Nobody's treading on you, sweetie." It made me pretty happy.

When I dropped the cases off at school, Mr. Berardi showed me a letter from a company soliciting to take over the domain services for mjsportszone.com I need to check in on that.

When I got home I learned about Mason Hornets after noticing a bug burrowing into the mortar by our front door. I didn't know that was a thing. I hate it. When I got it, I resumed editing some leftover videos from the end of the school year that the students did finish.

On Thursday, Sam made the best homemade ramen bowl imaginable. Jessica took the kids, Kate, and and Nadia's friend to the bowling alley. I didn't have a plan for my solo time, but since Kate earned her second solo Victory Royale in Fornite this season before they left, and I had yet to achieve a solo vitcory, I decided to play. Not only did I finally get one, I got THREE, included a Crowned Victory Royale, meaning back-to-back wins, with the second one happening while wearing the crown from the first one.

On Friday, Nadia finally got her new glasses! I also discovered that I had three sriracha bottles going in the fridge at one time. Jessica took the kids to Nashville Shores, and I took a nap. When everyone got home, Nadia and I sat on the front porch and watched a storm roll in. This happened repeatedly over the next few days.

On Saturday, I read some of the Coraline graphic novel with Nadia, and right when it was getting especially creepy, the wind picked up with an incoming storm and made the power blink on and off. It freaked Nadia out just a little, but it was great. The power blinked back on, so we started reading again, and as soon as we did, the blinking happened again, but the power stayed out that time. Around 9pm, one of our neighbors shot some fireworks, and Jessica liked it a lot. It was a bit loud and close for the kids and I. When everything was burned up, and went out to help sweep the street up.

What I listened to:


A former student named Cameron put out an album last year. I finally listened to it this week. I hope he's doing okay. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cub21ueWNvbnRlbnQuY29tL2QvcGxheWxpc3QvZTczYzk5OGUtNmU2MC00MzJmLTg2MTAtYWUyMTAxNDBjNWIxLzg2OTE4ZWU0LTRhYTQtNDk3Yi05OTVhLWFlMzIwMDZjZDRiNy9lZTEzMjQ5MC1iYTI0LTQ5NjUtYjU1OC1hZTMyMDA2Y2Q0YzAvcG9kY2FzdC5yc3M/episode/MWQ2NDJkNzAtMTJjZS00MzkzLThjMjUtYjAyZjAwMWIzZGU2?ep=14

I'm generally averse to politicians these days, but something I did get out of this episode is how genuine Bill Clinton's appreciation for black America, and specifically music, always has been.


Now that the episode is over, I am pleased and satisfied. It's nice to hear people who are always discussing everything other than art and humanity discuss art and humanity.


Simon Pegg says that Spaced was on immediately following friends on Channel 4 in England. That's crazy.


He also says he never actually read a script for the Mission: Impossible movie that's coming out in a couple of weeks. He says that they shoot the big action scenes first, and then build the story as they go the rest of the way, which is completely psycho. Wow! He would get a page or two about the scene they were shooting that day on that same morning, not for secrecy reasons, but because they sort of figure out the connections between the big scenes as they go. Absolutely bonkers. They started shooting the movie that come out this summer in September of 2020. What in the world?


As is normal for this particular podcast, not a whole lot of new information or actionable stuff, or even true discussion, was presented. I have got to find better education podcasts.

What I read:


“Delivering a half-petabyte movie — that’s 500,000 gigabytes — that utilizes more than 160,000 speakers is mind boggling. But honestly, every film is always a learning experience."


Outlawing consideration of race in elite college application processes in the affirmative sense does not actually get rid of consideration of race in college application processes. Doing so only renders the consideration invisible, and up to the individual whims and prejudices of the admissions officers, and more likely to happen in th negative sense.
I don't hold Ivy League schools in the rarified regard that many do, and this isn't gonna be a world-ending ruling in the least, but we should accurately label what it is and what it does.


I am repeatedly disgusted when people use MLK out of context, or claim he would love something that his own quotes and actions from his own life prove he would actually hate.

What I watched:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0DC9CDvg4

I really enjoyed watching Bus get emotional during his acceptance speech. I think only Snoop and LL Cool J have had rap hits in as many decades. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeD_gqSuvME


I'm seriously considering spending BNN/CTE money on an Insta360 x3 camera. I feel like the students could do some cool stuff with it. I also think the class computers will struggle with the files, so I'm undecided. 



--------























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week: July 2nd through 8th

Last Week: June 18th - 24th

Last week: June 4th-10th