Last Week: June 18th - 24th




I feel like last week was fairly full. 

On Sunday, Jessica and the kids did Father's Day right. Breakfast enchiladas, nachos for dinner, and a weird tabletop wooden posable hand for storing/hanging stuff that I'd fawned over whe we went to Ikea a couple of weeks ago. That was a nice surprise. Also, I finally got Sam to play Fortnite with me. He was worried to not be good, but we went 3-0 as a tram that first night, which was really exciting.

I can't remember much interesting from Monday, other than Nadia went to summer school and Sam started Camp FAME at Cumberland Univeristy. Sam and I went to Goodwill that night. 

On Tuesday, I tried new coffee shop in Lebanon after dropping Sam off at Camp FAME, before I had to get Nadia from summer school at 10. Nadia and I came home to eat and rest, then went bowling. At first I was irritated that the Hermitage Strike and Spare folks put us on a lane that hat a big ol' spot worn out about five feet into it, but then Nadia's first throw showed me that the guy at the counter knew not to put Nadia on a lane that DIDN'T already have that spot. 

Nadia doesn't have summer school on Wednesdays, so we ran errands, including taking the empty water cooler jugs to trade them out at Publix, where we also sat on the balcony and snacked. Kate came over to stay the night in order to pick Sam up from a friend's house the next morning, so she and I played Fortnite duos together and went 3-0 just like Sam and I did. 

On Thursday, I went straight to MJHS after dropping Nadia at Gladeville Middle, in order to prep for a student tour coming to visit my program. I was the last stop on their tour. Most of my room was already packed up for waxing, so it would have been difficult to get much hands-on stuff ready for the kids to try, especially considering there woudl supposedly be around 20 of them. I prepared a presentation cmparing and showing off all the different A/V programs in the county, then put some stuff on the jumbotron and asked them to arrive at the football field instead of the school. They like that. There were also only 8 of them, meaning I totally could have set up the dang news equipment. 

I thought I was going to get a quiet night at home with just me and Nadia, but Sam didn't feel like going to TPAC with the free tickets the Sanborns offered, so I went to 1776 with Anissa, Kate, and Jessica. It was good, not great. Definitely worth a free date night, not counting parking and the $5 bottled water. 

On Friday Jessica got off early, so Nadia and I joined her for lunch in Lebanon. Jessica took Nadia home, and I committed to getting Sam for Camp FAME, then went to the high school to clear the iMacs from the classroom to prepare for waxing. 

Saturday was full! Sam hadn't completed his art showcase pieces by the time he left on Thursday, so we went around 2pm to set his stuff up. The original plan was to hang out in Lebanon and wait for the other two Peaches to arrive, but then we realized we forgot the wristbands for the Camp FAME showcases, so we headed home. I was mildly irritated when I learned that Sam had changed his mind on going to the band thing, meaning we wouldn't even need the wristbands we'd traveled back to Gladeville for. The art show was enjoyable, but short. Jessica and the kids went out to eat while I traveled to MTSU for the short film debuts of this year's Governor's School for the Arts film students, featuring Jackson Farley, one of my AV2 students. It was a fun event, and there was even an art show for the visual art kids from GSFTA next door afterwards, so I got to enjoy that, also. 

On the way home, there were two stranded motorists in a very dangerous space on Stewarts Ferry Pike just coming off of 840. I turned around and put my van lights on them so nobody would hit them coming off the interstate on a Saturday night. There were two cars that definitely would have killed those guys had I not done that. 


What I listened to:


Sober Motivation: Pete Sousa

I dove into this episode because I thought it featured a completely different Pete Sousa, who is actually Pete Souza. It was listenable but not really memorable. Sousa says it took 12 years to get one year straight of sobriety. He says he got through college on a handshake and a smile, even though he was constantly high and drunk, and that really worries me when I am speaking with kids who obviously are at risk of going off the rails, but people don't really notice her take it serious because there's so charming.

What I read:

I continued the Bono book. It's improving with every chapter. Also:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/nashville/covenant-school-mass-shooting/parents-of-covenant-victims-file-declarations-against-release-of-shooters-writings/

As usual, the loudest and most obnoxious proponents of indivudualism and family values aren't really interested in listening to the individuals and families most affected by what such proponents think they want.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/06/20/donald-trump-republicans-react-hunter-biden-plea-deal/70337635007/

I can never tell the difference between politicians not understanding how stuff works vs. understanding and purposely misrepresenting. I'm fairly certain the Hunter Biden investigations and charges are nowhere near complete, so acting like this wasTHE only time to nail him to the wall is odd. Both he and Trump would seem to have quite a few investigations and charges on deck. 


I think a lot about why people stay in relationships where only one person seems to be getting what they want or need, or when neither person is getting what they want or need. 


Super excited about this update to the Quest 2, and I haven't tried it out just yet, but I'm also considering going ahead and selling mine in order to get what I can for it before the Quest 3 comes out. I really want that higher-res full-color passthrough for AR apps. 


Please stop. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/4052194-dont-hide-the-truth-about-who-made-violent-threats-against-target/

The problem here is that it's an apples to oranges comparison. The author alleges hypocrisy on the part of newswriters, but on the " It was reported correctly and accurately and fully" side of the claim, the parties involved are clear and verifiable by news agencies. On the " news outlets are purposely burying the lede" side of the claim, the people calling in the threats are not actually verifiable.


This would be the one thing that would get me back in the iOS ecosystem. As I get older, I feel like I would truly benefit from these detections. 


The Lee administration has no interest in not scaring the shit out of trans families. Might as well consider it purposeful intimidation. Related not: I'm glad that Pride went well and was largely attended this past weekend. 


Dope. I'm interested in whether or not this stuff goes to SCOTUS. The amount of focus on it by red state legislators and governors is unnecessary and stupid. The number of kids and parents who fall into this category is pretty dang small. Also, it becomes "let's use government to save kids from their parents," which I thought was a perspective GOP voters hated. In general, I can't stand people who truly feel like crusaders on any issue, but this one in particular is ridiculous. 


I watched the intro again on my television just now, after reading this last week and watching the intro on my phone. I'm unimpressed, but I suppose I'm looking at it through the lens of someone who knows what they're seeing. Im interested in how people perceive the intro outside of the conversation of AI in television and film production. I think the intro is not very good, but hooboy did Marvel save some money doing it this way. 


I don't know much about how this stuff works, but cutting a deal with an armed force coming for your governmental seat ain't really a good look. Also, as usual, power-hungry folks will start to eat each other when given enough time and space. Turns out the type of folks who would invade a country might also be the type of folks who aren't gonna be satisfied with whatever they get. 

What I watched:


Pretty much nothing! I need to start a show with Jessica. It will probably be Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk, because I really want to watch Secret Invasion, but we are far behind on Marvel stuff. 


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week: July 2nd through 8th

Last week: June 4th-10th